Wongalee Station Archive
Wongalee Station, thirty-three kilometres north-east of Hughenden, Queensland, seems to have originated as an outstation of Hughenden station, owned by Ernest Henry, founder of Cloncurry. It was officially first taken up as a pastoral run in August 1871 by Robert Gray and his cousins, brothers, Charles and Mowbray Gray, all of whom were also cousins of Henry. The Thompson family, who owned Wongalee from 1913 to the 1960s, relocated their house there from Fairlight Station after the floods of 1917. The station was subsequently bought by Sam Gluyas in the 1960s; John Honnery in the 1980s; then Kelwyn Sheahan for a time before Samuel King Anning and his wife, Nyree, bought it in 1998.
Archive Location: 139L
WSR/1 Cheque book stubs 25 August 1923 - 18 September 1924