South Townsville State School Archive
Townsville South State School began in 1884 as the Ross Island State School. A building committee to establish the Ross Island State School was set up in May 1882 consisting of the following elected members: Murdo Cameron, John Reardon, Harry Hack, Alfred Wales, Thomas Page, Thomas Pearce and William Martin (Secretary). The school opened on 26 February 1884 and average attendance for that year was 178 students.
On 11 July 1936 the school’s name changed to Townsville South State School.
Archive Location: 176R
There are three sets of student lists Nos. 1 and 3.
A set of exercise books, without covers. Each book has the following on lined pages; a date, then the student names in pencilled handwriting are listed. The date of enrolment heads the page.
The lists are in batches as follows:
A. 1919 up to and including 1923
B. 1924 up to and including 1930
C. 1931, 1947 and 1948
D. 1931 up to and including 1947
E. Grade 8 1946 up to and including 1957
F. 1958 up to and including 1968
G. 1968 up to and including 1976
H. 1977 up to and including 1983
A set of exercise books, with covers. These have dates on the covers and each book covers a 10 year span. The information inside includes year of birth, date and month, and name of students.
A. 1900 – 1909
B. 1910 – 1919
C. 1920 – 1929
D. 1930 – 1939
E. 1940 – 1949
F. 1950 – 1959
G. 1960 – 1969
H. 1970 – 1979
A manilla folder stating on its cover: South Townsville State School. Names of students: 1905 – 1983: pp. 1-109.
Inside list entitled:
Ross Island Mud Pickers 1884 – 1984
Names of students 1905 to 1983.
4. A. Department of Education, Queensland Teacher’s Time Book 27 January 1970 – 11 December 1970 (includes 3 lists of teachers’ names)
B. Date of appointment 1968 to 1970
C. Date of appointment 1967 to 1973
D. Date of appointment 1967 to 1974
Manila folder stating on its cover: South Townsville State School: Papers relating to past teachers and principals.
A. Brief history of head teachers of South Townsville State School 1884 – 1957.
B. Principals George Young. Notes on the Pupil Teacher system
C. Typewritten list George Young first Principal 26th February 1884 underlined p. 8-9.
D. Teachers Townsville South School p.10 - 14
E. Letter from Dudley Weatherley p. 17
F. Message from Vic Illick p 18
G. Farewell to Miss "Mollie" Walsh p 19-20’
Manila folder stating on its cover: South Townsville State School: correspondence
1. Letters: Grace Clegg 3/3/35 – 5/2/54 – 7 letters 2 p
2. Letter: Maitland Watson no date 2p
3. ‘The Patent Slip’ Extract from “Townsville Herald” Christmas 1887 1p
Manila folder stating on its cover: South Townsville State School: Personal Recollections: Townsville Residents and Past Pupils.
P38 - 41 South Townsville State School
P42 - 43 Letter from M Prideaux to Mr Page dated 7 April 1979
P45 – 46 Letter from Grace Patemen to Mr Page dated 3 March 1979
P47 Letter from William Joseph Devenport dated 1 March 1979
P48 Letter from J I Shields to the Principal South Townsville State School undated
P49 – 51 Letter from Mrs Lorna E Pritland (nee Harvey)
Notes gleaned from past pupils who have returned to reminisce in the office pp 1 – 5
Notes on the 20’s from Alex Trotter pp 1 – 3
Manila folder stating on its cover: South Townsville State School. Miscellaneous
A. Acknowledgments 1p
B. Brief record of activities of: Ivan Samuel Alexander MaCahon 1p.
C. Letter from Mrs Annie Harris 1p.
D. The Twenties and Thirties: History of the Rose Garden; and letters from Joyce V Stephans (nee Harris), and Warren Renew 4p
E. Townsville South State School, compiled by E Clarke, March 1979 (2 copies); Souvenir Townsville South State School 2p both items 14p
F. American Lyric Poetry – 1935; The Wanderer poem by William Walker 2p
G. Souvenir Townsville South State School 2p
H. Ross Island State School Concert contributed by Bill Marnock 1p
I. Reference from South Townsville State School for Alfred I R Mitchell
J. Townsville Juvenile Eisteddfod: Adjudicator’s Award Section No 72
K. Townsville Juvenile Eisteddfod: Adjudicator’s Award Section No 73
L. Typewritten sheets on sporting records: Arch Foley – notes 2p; Charlie Goon Chew, John Bauna Lpara, Jim Paterson 2p; Kangaroo’s war cry 1p; Joe T Baker 1p; Dorothy Whalley 1p;
Newspaper clippings Dorrie Whalley 1p; Various athletes 1p
M. Townsville South State School Honour Board
N. Newspaper clipping: Ross Island remembered
O. Typewritten notes from Mavis Holden (nee Couch) 1p
P. Ross Island “mud pickers” 1884 – 1984 mock up of page 1p
Q. Newspaper clipping of letter from Albury Lawson of Nellie Bay, in Townsville Daily Bulletin 1p
R. Letter to Mr J J Page, Principal, Townsville South State School, from A J Neeson, Deputy Commissioner and Secretary, Queensland Railways dated 28 May 1979 re: History of Railway Yards 1p
S. Editorial – Typescript pages written by Jeff Page, Principal 2p
T. “Thanks for the Memory. July 1953 to June 1957” – Typescript pages written by Merv Gredden 13 September 1983 3p
U. Several different typescript items including:
- Forward for the Townsville South State School Centenary Book, the Honourable L W Powell MLA Minister for Education 2p
- Letter to Mr Page from Dorothy E Wiggins re “Walker Family” Townsville 1886-1897 including two poems by William Walker 4p
- Poem recited as a child by Mother Ethel Walker “The Little Errand Girl” 1p
- Page in same typescript as letter from Dorothy E Wiggins with a poem Castle Hill by William Walker, Aug 30 1928 1p
- Jottings by W Walker – May 1927 3p
- International Year of the Child – 3 sheets glued together
V. Several different typescript items including:
- From an interview with Mr Daniel Archibald McIntyre – Typescript of tape from Mr D A McIntyre
- Newspaper clipping with photograph (no title, or date), regarding Mr D A McIntyre 1p
- Typescript of a letter from R H Couch (Harry) 1p
- Letter to Mr Page from Merv Gredden letterhead Department of Education, Brisbane North Region 2p
- ‘Further to the Artists (Children) and Nicknames’ – a listing numbered items 2 – 15 each item named 1p
- Souvenir Townsville South State School 1p
Manilla folder entitled: South Townsville State School: Working Papers. Photocopies pasted on to writing paper: incomplete
1. SR Elizabeth Kenny
2. History of Early Townsville
- Sister Elizabeth Kenny 8p
- History of Early Townsville 8p
Manilla folder entitled ‘Ross Island Mud Pickers’ 1884 – 1984
A. Programme – South Townsville State School presents three operettas “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Circus, Ned Kelly”
B. Programme – ‘Townsville South State School Centenary 25 Feb – 3 March 1984’.
11. A folder from Information and Publications Branch, Department of Education Queensland from records held in the State Archives, the John Oxley Library and the Department of Education.
Maps – Photocopy 1p.
Extracts from home exercise books for May 1990. Photocopies 14p.
A folder from Information and Publications Branch, titled The enclosed historical account of Townsville South Primary School prepared by Information and Publications Branch, Department of Education Queensland, from records held in the State Archives, the John Oxley Library and the Department of Education.
This folder contains various items, typewritten, photocopied and handwritten on the general history of the South Townsville area and the school itself.
A. Typescript copy of the Editorial by Jeff Page, Principal. 2p.
B. Further research by Mr Alex Trotter revealed these interesting facts.
Handwritten pages by Mr Alex Trotter 3p.
C. The Feathered Gang names of a gang of Townsville Waterside Workers contributed by Bill Marnock, Victoria. Handwritten 1p
D. Form letter regarding Townsville South State School Centenary from J J Page, Principal. Typescript 1p
E/F. Letter to His Worship the Mayor, Townsville requesting attendance of the Council at a tree planting ceremony, for the Inaugural Labour Day, from F Galloway, Head Teacher dated 11 July 1890. Handwritten, photocopy 1p x 2 copies.
G. List of references “Ross Island” from 1873 – 1967 from various sources. Typewritten 1p.
H. Handwritten telegram on paper headed “Electric Telegraph, Queensland” dated 1 November 1893 from W Horatio Wilson for His Worship the Mayor. Re: closure of school
I. Handwritten letter from Mrs Edna Birt (nee Talbot) enquiring about the school’s anniversary dated 29 June 1984.
- Letter from M I Walter, Oxley Librarian to J J Page, Principal, Townsville South State School dated 28 February 1979. 1p.
- Letter from P D Wilson, State Archivist to Mr J J Page, Principal Townsville South State School regarding a list of five items of information enclosed, photocopies of originals, in State Archives, plus a typewritten list of sources of information on South Townsville, in State Archives, plus a typewritten list of sources of information on South Townsville, in State Archives. 2p
- Brief guide to sources of information on local history. 2p.
- Letter to A S Donnelly c/- Townsville Daily Bulletin Office from Jas L Stapleton, State Librarian explaining three sets of enclosures. Dated 19 March 1962. Photocopy of typescript. 2p
- ENCLOSURE 1 – Letter from J M Black and R Towns dated Sept 13 1864, also note to Colonial Secretary, Brisbane from A M Photocopy of typescript copy of original. 2p
- ENCLOSURE 2 – From Minister for Land and Works correspondence, 1864/2205 – The Secretary for Land and Works to Messrs Black and Towns. Photocopy of typescript copy of original 2 letters dated 5 October 1864 and 12 October 1864. 2p
- ENCLOSURE 3 – Executive Minutes. Photocopy of typescript copy of original 10 Executive Minutes dated from 16 September 1864 until 9 May 1866. 3p
K. Letter from J L Finger, Senior Research Officer, Information and Publications Branch to the Principal, Townsville South State School, dated 21st March 1979 referring to historical information relating to education in Queensland and enclosing three (3) documents. 1p.
The three documents attached are:
Document 1: Application for establishment of a State School. To the Honourable The Secretary for Public Instruction, Brisbane from Members of the Committee (signed) dated 7 August 1882. Photocopy of the original form letter, filled in by hand. 1p.
Document 2: Application for the establishment of a State school at Ross Island dated 29 August 1882 to the Under Secretary, Department of Public Instruction from John Shirley dated 16 September 1882. Photocopy of original handwritten letter. 2p.
Document 3: Photocopy of newspaper clipping [N.D.] Discussion of Ross Island School meeting at Satini’s Hotel – just before the completion of the school and master’s residence. 1p. (Suggested approximate date for Document 19 February 1884 – ie day after Building Committee meeting).
L. Letter to Under Secretary, Department of Public Instruction, Brisbane, from George Young dated 24 May 1884 re payment of hotel bill. Photocopy of handwritten letter. 2p.
M. Queensland State Archives – a copy of part of a map of Ross Island from Health and Home Affairs Department, Brisbane [n.d.] showing school reserve. 1p.
N. Photocopy of tracing of part of Ross Island showing the school reserve. 1p.
O. Photocopy of map showing allotments in South Townsville, around Ross Creek. 1p.
1. Copy from Queensland State Archives transferred from Geological Survey Office, Brisbane to the Queensland State Archives on 10 January 1896. A map showing Ross Island, and Ross Creek, also part of Townsville city streets, with allotments. 1p.
2. Copy of ground plan “Teachers Residence, Ross Island. Scale 8 feet to 1 inch”. [n.d.] 1p
3. Copy of map of Townsville 1892. 1p
4. Copy of may entitled Northern Railway, Jetty Branch, Working Plan and Section [n.d.] 1p
5. Copy of may of early Townsville circa 1885. 1p.
6. Copy of may of original mileposts in Townsville city. [n.d.] 1p
7. Photocopy of hand drawn map of part of Ross Island and Ross Creek dated 1892. 1p
8. Photocopy hand drawn map of air course, and prevailing winds at Townsville South State School, for proposed annexe 1920. 1p.
9. Photocopy of rough plan of school building, Ross Island sheet no 1 (hand drawn) 1p
10. Photocopy of ground plan of Ross Island State School 1891. Hand drawn. 1p
11. Copy of lists of parents and children residing near proposed state school at Ross Island at August 1882. 7p.
13. Copy of Poem recited as a child by Mother - Ethel Walker. Typewritten. 1p. 14. Cassette Centenary information side 1, 1-306 A Marnock. 1 audiocassette