Stewart Creek Roman Catholic Church Archive
This church had its origins in a meeting in January 1904 held at the Ayr Junction Hotel, Stewart’s Creek (later, the Hotel Stuart, Stuart). The church was opened on Sunday afternoon, 31 July 1904, by Rt Rev Dr Higgins, Bishop of Rockhampton. He was accompanied by the Very Rev Fr Walsh, Fr Burke, several Townsville identities, and a strong representation from the local Stewart’s Creek community. The site of the church, opposite the old railway station, had been donated by Fr Walsh and the church was built for approximately £250, £120 of which was received in donations.
Archive Location: 16R
SC/1 Account book relating to erection of Catholic Church at Stewart'sCreek 1904-1920
SC/2 Financial records for St Brigid's Church, Stewart's Creek
SC/2/1-6 Accounts from Rooney and Company Townsville, 1904
SC/7-22 Accounts from Rooney and Company Townsville, 1918-1920
SC/2/23 Queensland Railways - advice of goods 1913
SC/2/24-26 Doug and Richie, Contractors, Townsville Correspondence andaccounts, 1904
SC/2/27-32 Donations 1904
SC/2/33-58 Accounts 1904-1919
SC/2/59 Financial statement, Parish of Mundingburra, 1925
SC/3/1-17 Subscription lists for a variety of functions and building works for St. Brigid's Church (not dated except two lists which are dated 1908 and 1919). Mss. 18p. packaged.
SC/4/1-22 Correspondence 1904-1921. St. Brigid's Church Committee. 22 items, Mss. 33p. packaged.
SC/5 The Townsville Catholic News, 1 December, 1946. pp. 7, 20, illustrated article. "St. Brigid's, Stuart beginning of a parish". Photocopy.
SC/6 The Townsville Catholic News, 1 January, 1947. pp. 2, 15. Illustrated article. "Stuart Presbytery opened". Photocopy.
SC/7 The Townsville Catholic News, 1 February, 1947. Front cover illustrated with captions. "St. "Brigid's Presbytery, Stuart Opening Ceremony. Photocopy.
SC/8 The Townsville Catholic News, 1 September, 1952. pp.4-5, 11-12, article. "A church is built St Brigid's Church, Stuart". Photocopy.